Monday 30 October 2006

A Quick Post

Arg, I should write a real post detailing the occurrences of the past few weeks (mostly teaching/not teaching at conversation classes and junior high school) but since I still have to prepare for a conversation class for tomorrow as well as a few other classes but I want to go to sleep, I will procrastinate in the only way I know how: shorthand lists.

Okay, a bit of a lie, but nonetheless:

1. Hyaku (100) Yen shops are amazing. My town has two, one real freestanding giant mecca of my favourite place to be, and another at the back of a pharmacy within walking distance. Some things purchased there: a world map (Japanese style, with Japan in the centre!), many glasses, a little penguin for the faucet on top of my toilet, markers, paper, tupperware, an inflatable hammer, tea towels, coconut baskets, hand warmers, socks, clothes hangers, a laundry mesh bag, a princess tiara (I didn't buy this, but it's in my house), a garden gnome (same), origami, origami instructions, sparkly pens, a binder, plastic chopsticks & container, sweat rags, a coin-purse/wallet, and a really nice work tote. The amount of things that I want to buy but force myself not to lest I want to be able to walk around my apartment is innumerable. I think back to the giant dollar store in Carlingwood and how depressing it is and you just can't compare. The quality of the merchandise and the sheer amount of choice is staggering.

2. My friend was the one to bring this to my attention, but it's worth repeating. Why, in a country where the majority of the population eats rice at least twice a day, can you not find, no matter where you look, rice krispies? They have corn flakes and other various cereals available, but I have yet to see rice krispies.

3. I often wish that I went to elementary school in Japan, but at the same time am very relieved that I didn't go to junior/senior high school here.

I went/participated in a dragon boat festival/race yesterday on the other peninsula. Our boat did not come last in our heat, which we were all very proud of. I had some good conversations with some cute 6 year olds, slept on the ferry back (they have carpeted rooms specifically for sleeping purposes, on a one hour ferry), and went to a sand bath/onsen. It was a nice weekend, but as usual I am exhausted. Thankfully it's a long weekend, with Friday off and no classes on Thursday due to School Culture Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.