Thursday 7 December 2006

Not so samui

Just as I was getting used to the cold, the weather decided to take a turn to the nice. Yesterday it rained like crazy, and though the windows and doors were closed for some reason all the walls at school were wet. Today is completely sunny and hot. So much that I had to come home at lunch to take off the long johns and extra pair of socks I was wearing. Yes, I wear at least two layers of everything to school. Thank goodness for long johns.

Today I wrote on a whiteboard with permanent marker. This was at elementary school, so I didn't hear the end of it from all the students. I love them though, so I didn't mind. The elementary school kids are great, not only because they put my complaining into perspective as they have to wear shorts to school all year round. Yes, even in the winter. Those poor goobers.

I finally finished my six week run of evening conversation classes. Six weeks may not sound like a lot, but it felt like forever. I apologize to everyone for being in a foul mood since the end of October. I'm two thirds relieved and ecstatic, one third kind of sad. I loved my beginner conversation class, partly because I didn't have to prepare and we just would sit around and eat and talk, but the intermediate class was painful and the kid's club was like pulling teeth. So many kids that I wanted to throttle, but of course that would not look good to their mothers sitting in the back watching me. I teach all the kids at elementary schools, but together those 22 little goobers were about as energetic and smart as empty potato sacks. I mean, seriously, what Japanese kid doesn't know the rules to animal/color/fruit basket?

No comments: