Monday 14 August 2006

I'm sitting in the office right now, with a painful shoulder ache, unconsciously ignoring the three men across from me having some sort of conversation in Japanese. I can't tell if anyone actually works here, but maybe that's because I certainly don't. Wait: I keep hearing the words 'shogakko' and 'chugakko' which respectively mean elementary and junior high school, so that must be something.

Yesterday (today?) was (is?) my birthday. I'm really not sure because I received many comments both Monday and Wednesday, but almost none on the actual day itself. I wouldn't be surprised if I am in fact completely wrong and my birthday is really in a couple of weeks.

These past weeks have been, for lack of better words, crazy. There is too much that I want to say but not enough time to write it all. I also lack the energy, to be honest. I guess my actions over the last couple of weeks can be summarized by blank stares, awkward silences, and many cultural faux-pas. However, to say that I am not having an amazing time would be a lie. The people here are incredible generous and kind and the town itself is quite majestic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Maya!!!

Happy Birthday!! Oh man... your last birthday was spent with me locked in a basement making boxes and crying for air (well I think I was the only one really crying). Sounds like your new locale is a little more accomodating I hope! Alright I miss you tons, I'm going to Israel for a trial period month for my job and they're going to see if it's a good fit to make it permanent. But I'm going in September so let me know if you want me to deliver any messages to your grandma and others...hehe. Alright take care!

Love,
Daniel