Tuesday 10 July 2007

We're famous!

Or so I'm told. Though I guess I am, in the micro sense of the word, quite recognizable in my town. About a month ago I received a piece of paper addressed to me at school with a bunch of incomprehensible (at least to me) kanji. According to my teacher, it was from Minami Nippon Shimbun (南日本新聞 - Southern Japan Newspaper), asking to interview me. I asked when, she didn't know, and I promptly forgot about it. Yesterday at my elementary school one of the teachers told me that she saw me in the paper from this weekend. I have no idea what it said, since they never talked to me, and today I tried looking at the old papers at school, with no luck. I'm slightly apprehensive that it's actually a secret expose on terrible ALTs, but since I may never know I'll assume it's not.

Yesterday I was forwarded this link from CNN: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/08/japan.kamikaze.ap/index.html#cnnSTCText
It's an article about kamikaze pilots that talks about both the Peace Museum in Chiran and the recent movie about the Chiran pilots. Even though I disagree with how the article portrays the museum's depiction of the pilots, the article is worth a look. I haven't seen the movie so I can't talk about that, and I don't know enough about Ishihara to comment on him. Take a look at the pictures included. Those stone lanterns in #7 line the main street and the road I take to get to school. There are 1038 in the town, each one representing an individual kamikaze pilot.

No comments: